I can’t believe I’m doing this again, making another huge announcement for the Mercantile. This one might not be what you are expecting at first.
We love our location on State Street. We’ve received so much support, learned so many invaluable lessons, and got to know so many new (wonderful) people. Our openings were some of the most successful we’ve had since rolling up the truck door in April of 2018. The products we carry transitioned from being sourced through high quality wholesale vendors to made in the USA artisans. Our collaborations with local vendors continued and we strengthened the bonds of fellow girl bosses in the area. All of this in the few short months we opened up on State. I knew the pop up wouldn’t last forever but even I couldn’t have imagined this is how it would end.
So here is the official farewell to the pop-up. We will close our doors at the end of June.
If you know me...you know that’s not the end. Not even close.
I have been bursting at the seams to announce that we will reopen our doors at 132 Riverview, the building on the corner of Market & Riverview that was once Keil’s Tavern. If you aren’t as familiar, Riverview (Highway 52) runs parallel to the Mighty Mississippi River as you come into town from the north or south. It’s a beautiful riverfront space with tall tin ceilings, hardwood floors and a beautiful limestone wall.
To say I’m excited is an understatement. Paint colors, shelving displays, and ideas race through my head at night. My Pinterest board is reaching max capacity and I am counting down the days until we can get in there.
Many of you will have questions about what this all means for the truck and the Mercantile so here is a breakdown of what our plans are.
What this means:
- The truck will transition to being a satellite location for special events and markets. We don’t have any plans set for 2019 but we will still have the truck for these types of occasions.
- We will be closed for a few weeks while we transition locations. We have to paint walls and move in new and existing displays.
- Hours will still be limited as we continue to grow but look for more open hours this summer. I’ll still be working full-time (because I absolutely love my day job), so I’ll be relying on family & friends to help me make this happen.
- We have so much room for activities! (Any Step Brothers fans out there?!) In the works is a potting/flower bar. We’ll be carrying house plants and bringing in fresh cut florals regularly. Arrange them in a pot or vase on-site so you can take care of the dirty work before you even get home (we’ll supply the rocks, dirt, water, and space for you to do your thing.)
- We are also in the process of purchasing a Chandler & Price Platen Press Letterpress. This means I’m fulfilling my lifelong dream of having my own press after falling in love with the process in college. We’ll be producing some amazing goods that are in the works in a mini letterpress studio on the store floor that you will be able to see in action.
I’m so excited for this to happen. The Mercantile has been a dream and a source of immense comfort for me this past year. I’m so happy to share this journey with all of you. In the meantime, here is some inspiration for the store to get you all excited. Stay tuned for more details on our progress.